Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A New Generation of Moms over 40


I was actually quite surprised when I went looking for websites or blogs specifically for first time moms over 40 and found very few. With the baby boom of over 40 moms one would expect to find a sea of them. Alas, I find myself hoping to find other moms to connect with on my first blog dedicated to a new generation of fantastic 40 plus moms.
Isabella was born March 1, 2007. My first child at age 41. As a career woman I did not have a maternal bone in my body until my mid 30's. Even then the big question was not "do I want children" as much as "do I want to be a childless woman"? Sound pathetic I know. How was I to know how amazing motherhood could be? I love being a mom...I don't feel like a older mom. The timing could not have been better. I have traveled, gained wisdom, learned that the universe does not revolve around me, worked hard, have more resources to give, have more patience and ultimately appreciate the beauty of life.
Many of you over 40 moms have experienced and gained similar strengths. This qualifies YOU to be the best moms out there! Here is to a new generation of moms over 40! Being a mom over 40 ROCKS!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks to Melissa for directing me to your blog. I am a 42 year old Mom with a 2 year old and a 4 year old, and a business or 2. So busy - I am looking forward to hearing how it goes, how you balance it all and a husband and a home... I am doing it but sometimes things have to give a little here or there so they all fit. It feels like 85% in 10 directions instead of 100% to one direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I have also been amazed at the lack of personal blogs about becoming pregnant and being a mum over 40. My blog is about my journey toward becoming pregnant and I am looking to connect with others that have been through it or are going through it.

    I also feel that the timing is right and that my life experience and readiness to be a mum is going to be a blessing.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what Cybernac is talking about. I was perimenopausal in my mid-forties. (My children were born when I was two weeks shy of 38, 40, and 42.) I was a little grouchy, but I think that any mom of three stairstep children would be. On the flip side, my children kept me moving and they still do. They are now 13, 11, and 9, and I'm 51. I've been too busy to become old. My blog, Beyond the Diapers and Spills, has stories about my ordinary life as a stay-at-home mom. It answers the "what do you do all day" question, but also lets people know that there will come a day when you will allow yourself to have a life beyond your children. But for you, I assume that you are in the season of revolving much of your life around your daughter, and rightly so. I did it and I'm glad I did. I will check in now and then to see how you're doing. Oh, I see that "newmumover40" has found you too. It seems that your blog title may be starting a little network! (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, what a beautiful picture of you and your baby. I too am surprised at the lack of online blogs devoted to those of us who have our first child after age 40.

    My daughter was born a month after I turned 45, she was conceived naturally and unexpectedly, I was not trying to get pregnant or trying to avoid pregnancy, just good old Mother Nature at her finest. I had married in June 2005, she was born April 2006. She is now 3 1/2 and I am in full blown menopause raising a toddler and dealing with hormones and finally the baby weight. Never a dull moment!

    My blog is my place to vent and hopefully connect with others who can relate although there seems to be very few like me out here.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete