Wednesday, August 26, 2009

This Little Mommy Went to Work


I was asked a interesting question the other day about being a career woman and my desire to have a child later in life. It was posed by a sweet 20 something gal in my office. She asked, "do you think you will ever stop working to raise your child?" Although I know better, I couldn't help but feel a bit defensive. I quickly gave her the readers digest version of how far women have come, how much we are able to handle, how it is good for our children to see us as women be industrious but at the end of my defense I felt my constant companion "mother guilt" give me punch in the gut.
Have I really waited this long to be a mom to go back to the office? This is a continuous internal dialogue in which I struggle and never win. I love being with my daughter, and I relish every moment we are together (except for the occasional tantrums) however I must admit that I do find satisfaction in my career. I am fortunate to own my own business so in "good times" I am able to work a flexible schedule that is less demanding. Now with the economy in the tank I too must grind out a living working longer hours. I am I being a selfish mom? Ask Dr. Laura (stay at home mom), she would a jump through the phone with a "what do you think?" If you ask Nancy Grace (working mom), first time mom over 40 with twins, you might end up with a prosecuting attorney on your side.
At the end of the day we must ask ourselves, "What are my talents, and how am I using them to benefit those within my sphere of influence to include my precious child?" Whether we decide to work or stay home, life does not come to a halt when we have children at any age.

No comments:

Post a Comment